Conference: New Perspectives on Violence and Revolution in the African Diaspora
Place: Pennsylvania State University, United States
Date: April 4-5, 2014
Submission deadline for abstracts: November 30, 2013
»Potential Paper Topics Include:
- Africa, empire, and the Atlantic World: imagining unconventional Atlantic (and hemispheric) narratives.
- Black politics and white allies: the long freedom struggle of African-descended peoples and its complex links to white political and social organizations.
- Masculinity, femininity, and gender performativity: the gendered politics of revolution, challenges to the common perception of revolutionaries as male, gendered representations of violence or revolution.
- Sex, slavery, and intimate relations: the gendered and sexualized nature of resistance, gendered and/or sexual violence.
- Resistance and Revolutions: the causes, processes, and impacts of struggle.
- Labor, bodies, and objects: scholarship on race and gender and the extraction of labor from diasporic bodies.«
More information: CFP website